Photogénie and Film Fest Gent proudly present the first Young Critics Workshop, open to 5 aspiring film critics (aged 18-26) from Belgium and abroad, offering them the opportunity to cover the 41st edition of this major international event (which takes place from 14 – 25 October), ranked among the top European film festivals by The Wall Street Journal and Variety, and get acquainted with being a member of the press at such an event.
The selected participants will be invited to cover the festival by writing both short reviews of films in the official selection and an in-depth piece on a film that is not in competition at the Festival. Participants will also take part in Q&A sessions and press conferences.
The participants will be guided by international film critic Keith Phipps (The Dissolve) and the Photogénie team. Furthermore, the program includes informal talks with the Festival Director and members of his staff, as well as conversations with visiting critics and filmmakers, acquainting the young critics with the industry.
The reviews and articles of the participants may be published on Photogénie and on the Festival’s website.
The working language is English.
Applicants must be fluent in English, both spoken and written. The Workshop is open to writers between the ages of 18 and 26, who haven’t made criticism their (main) profession yet.
The Young Critics Workshop offers participants:
- accommodation and breakfast in the historic city of Ghent, from October 14th until 22nd
- lunch catered by the Festival
- a full accreditation for the Festival
- the chance to review films and events at the Festival, under the guidance of an experienced critic
Participants will be responsible for their own travel arrangements, most evening meals and all other expenses. Participants will also be required to provide their own laptop computer.
Applications must be submitted before 14 September, containing the following:
- A motivation letter (500 words or less)
- Curriculum Vitae
- 3 writing samples of articles or film reviews in English (If the original texts are not in English, provide translations as a proof of your English writing skills)
- A recent passport style photograph
The selected young critics will be informed by e-mail on 22 September.
Send your applications and inquiries to:
Bart Versteirt & Vito Adriaensens